Easy to Make Recipes are the Key to Meal Planning…Try this Salsa Shredded Chicken
I love chicken. It is versatile, easy to prepare and it tastes great. But when it comes to meal planning, simple is the key. This easy to make recipe for salsa shredded chicken not only tastes great it is literally two cans some chicken and a crock pot. Really, that is all you need to make it. Anyone who says they cannot cook, can cook this!
So What Do You Need…
Large Crock Pot – Preferably the football shaped one as shown above.
3 lb. Bag of Frozen Chicken Breasts
1 Large 28 oz. can of No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes
1 Medium or Large Bottle of Salsa in your favorite temperature rating. I use Mild ChiChis Salsa because it is very low in calories and sodium.
or anything else you want!!!
This is Really Easy to Make…
Optional – if you want to do this you can but it is not necessary. I do it because I like the extra flavor.
- Turn the crock pot on high and when heated add some olive oil on the bottom.
- Then add some minced garlic to that and stir around.
- Add onion flakes, or scallions and stir.
- First take the chicken and place it all into the crock pot. It does not matter if it is thawed or frozen.
- Second open the can of salsa and pour the entire contents on top of the chicken. Then open the (no salt added) diced tomatoes and drain the liquid out, and pour the contents on top of the chicken and salsa. Add additional seasoning if desired.
- Cover the crock pot (latch it if needed) and let it stay on high for 4 hours.
- After 2 hours give it stir to make sure all of the chicken is coated in the salsa and tomatoes.
- After 4 hours turn it to low, and let it sit for another hour if needed.
Then once it is done simply scoop out the chicken, let it cool, and shred it. I then take a large spoon with holes in it and scoop out all the tomatoes and salsa chunks and put it in with my chicken. You can put all the salsa shredded chicken in a container, refrigerate, and it is ready to eat when needed!
That Was Easy Huh?
I told you that was easy. Some other quick tips; you can put it into bags of 1 cup each to have as a grab and go item. I usually bag all of my stuff, so then I just grab a bag of protein, bag of vegetables, and a bag of my starch carbohydrate. Then all I have to do is put them all on a plate and microwave for 3 minutes!
Feel free to add any additional vegetables you might like. I think bell peppers, jalapenos, and onions might taste good. Put some chicken in corn tortillas and top with my fresh salsa for a delicious taco treat.
Give this easy recipe a try and make your own great salsa shredded chicken. I have to go, and eat, as writing this has made me hungry for some tacos!
Here is another option…
If you want a different twist you can add a jar of tomatillo salsa or green salsa verde sauce. It gives it a little kick and a different taste.
So what are your favorite easy to make chicken recipes? Let us know in the comments below.